The Downia Group of Companies, has its heritage dating back to 1911, when the first feather and down processing plant was established at Glebe Sydney, Australia. The operating company, Australian Feather Mills Pty Ltd (AFM) was incorporated in 1937, one year after the Australian Companies Act was promulgated. AFM is currently the market leader in feather and down in Australia.
In 1975 the Company moved from Glebe to Smithfield and then by 1986 the company had out grown the Smithfield facilities, and moved to Wetherill Park, which is the current location. All moves were to freehold facilities and in Sydney. The Wetherill Park plant saw extensive investments in automation in its manufacturing facilities, but economic necessity in 2002 required moving much of the manufacturing offshore to our Thailand based company. We still retain much of the manufacturing facilities in Wetherill Park serving as "just in time" production to service customers.
The late Keith Hyland, son of the founder, was stationed in Southeast Asia during World War II with the Australian Army, and he came to Thailand after the War, stayed and founded in 1946 Siam Feather and Forest Products Co., Ltd. Then in 1953, he moved to Vietnam and estalished Saigon Feather Mills.
Siam Feather Products Co., Ltd a Thailand based feather and down and finished products manufacturing company is head office for for the Downia Group of companies, and is one of the oldest feather and down manufacturing operations throughout Australasia. The Company established its core business in the processing of raw feather and down and in the manufacture of down filled products. Siam Feather operates from freehold facilities located on a canal off the main Chao Phraya river running through Bangkok.The factory has a customs bonded warehouse on site allowing raw materials and fabrics to be easily imported and then re-exported as finished products.
All group companies are privately owned.
The group currently operates in
Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Switzerland and China.
Australian Feather Mills Pty Ltd commenced processing feather and down in Australia in 1911,incorporation 1937.
Siam Feather Products Co., Ltd, commenced operation in Thailand in 1946.
- Saigon Feather Mills commenced operation in Vietnam in 1953 (until the fall of the then South Vietnamese government in 1975)
- A Division of Australian Feather Mills Pty Ltd ( Downia NZ) was establised in Auckland New Zealand in 1999.
- In November 2001, the company moved Head office to Thailand.
- In 2004, Downia UK Ltd commenced operation, a UK based marketing and distribution company.
- The Downia Group acquired the business of an old established (since 1937) Swiss Feather and Down manufacturer in 2005, now named BSS Downia AG.
- In 2006, the Downia group established a China based feather and down processing, manufacturing and finished products factory and company.